Friday, November 03, 2006

November

It is approaching 1 year since I have been at UPOX and keeping this blog. During the year I have posted several accounts of my hunches/assumptions and findings.

Conclusively we can say that a fair summary of these are:

  1. Online Schools are hard.
  2. Online Schools take more time than B&M except you get to choose when the time is spent
  3. You lose the opportunity to interact and build your personal and communication skills
  4. There is no “gussying-up” the professor to make an 89 magically turn into a 90 to change a B+ to an A-.
  5. Teams are hard to work with wherever you are; being demographically, geographically and technically removed makes it harder.
  6. You are not distracted by attractive classmates :-/

So it is November and I am onto MBA/560, ENTERPRISE RISK. This class speaks to law, rule of law, property, corporate governance and several other introductory legal concepts.

I can’t deny it; the itch for going to law school that I acquired since I met Natasha M. and Thomas M. has now become a rash. I HAVE TO do this now.

I actually read the chapters! This shows that if you study something you are interested in, you will do well at it.

More importantly, if you enjoy what you do, you will be good at it.

Something that I noticed with online schooling in this law class however is that the application of technology has really “sexied-up” the area of law holistically. One of the most amazing things I found with attorneys and law school students (I dated two of these characters) is the lack technical knowledge and for the most part a little application of technology would make their practice/experiences so much easier.

For example, simply using XP’s tracking on a word DOC instead of the ole red strikeout and highlighting. There are several others.

In class however, the text books are electronic, easily searchable, Lexis-Nexis is heavily accessible and integrated (into anything these days), and contracts, writings, verbiage are all electronic and there’s a good mixture between law and technology.

This mix makes the study and practice of law especially attractive to someone like me.

I AM GOING TO LAW SCHOOL.

My only problem? The LSAT.

This brings me to an important point that I missed in the six bullets above. Oh! You do not have to take the GMAT to get your online MBA.

My gut feeling was that I never needed the darn thing anyway. No matter what GMAT score you have and what MBA school you go to, if you are not good at what you do, enjoy what you do and passionate about success; all you are really going to have is you gut feelings and no substance behind them.

Richie, Happy Sweet November.