Wednesday, October 25, 2006

My Last Class

[GUT FEELINGS]

When you meet someone you get a gut reaction immediately as to (1) will you like them, (2) are the smart, (2) will you get along and (4) will they motivate you?

In MBA 550 immediately into starting the class I had a few negative feelings about the class, these were (1) the sloppy and confusing syllabus and eResource page indicated that the professor was either too busy, not a perfectionist or new, (2) being assigned team members in team “C” immediately left a bad taste in my mouth, I worked with people who were not open to speaking over the phone and I was not impressed by their mode of operand and (3) the assigned readings of the class were not exciting at all!

So what happened?

I lost interest in the class, I literally barely participated in the class, and the few times I posted substantive writings NO ONE replied… I wonder why? I know why! Because students get a way with just regurgitating what each other is saying.

[CONCLUSION]

What did I do wrong? – Well I let my negative impression of the professor, the class and my team mates ruin my experience. One should never do this, in B&M schools it happens but people’s personalities helps you along the way. In online schools once you have this negative impression your entire class is ruined. I guess it’s just an issue of managing one’s emotions for positive outcomes.

What is wrong with Online? – YES! I continue to say it; students should be forced to speak over the phone, use video conferencing and communicate in personal ways apart from hiding behind emails, bitching about schedules and half-ass-managing assignments.

[ANALYSIS]

You have to want value to get it from an online class, where as on B&M the professor or other team mates can force you to get it.

A culmination of work, some personal travel, turmoil in my personal life and a sudden urgency to frequent the gym coupled with my lack of interest in MBA 550 based on my gut feelings rendered me NO VALUE in a class that could have really been a quite valuable.

Richie